RSS : Articles / Comments


Sunday, November 22, 2009

Pottery and Rafting - What a mix!

3:18 PM, Posted by Unknown, 4 Comments




Every winter while we are taking a break from rafting (there is no water just ice), I spend some time in my studio getting wet. Notice getting wet seems to be a theme going on around here? I try and keep busy by making pottery. But then, I've mentioned that in earlier blogs.



So here is an opportunity for me to show off some of the pieces I have made. If you see anything you like, contact me and we can arrange shipping for you in time for Christmas.


Stoneware - Pine Ash Glaze



I have experimented with Raku, Barrel firing and Stoneware with a wood ash glaze look. All of these methods rely on random effects to give you the end product. The ideas of random and entropy intrigue me. Also, any surface that has a liquid look or of something flowing over the surface catch my eye. ( another river theme I guess). I primarily use a wheel however in the last few weeks I have been doing slab work. It's nice to try something different and then go back to old ways with new ideas and attitudes. I hope you enjoy looking at these pieces.


Barrel Fired


















Raku-Crackle Glaze





Stoneware-Clay from the banks of the Red Deer River brushed on the surface of the pot.

4 Comments

aims @ November 23, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Ummmm - that first box is not for sale as I recall. You haven't changed your mind have you?

Unknown @ November 25, 2009 at 10:52 PM

No, this is shown as a good example of the slab built technique.

Bernie @ December 29, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Oh my gosh, your pottery is absolutely beautiful.....where do you show/sell it/if you do I mean.....:-) Hugs

Unknown @ December 30, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Some of my work is available at www.otterpottery.com or you will have to visit me in Sundre, Alberta in my showroom. In winter I'm open by chance or make an appointment. Summer - sort of regular business hours.