RSS : Articles / Comments


Thursday, July 30, 2009

While others are Rafting

12:07 PM, Posted by Unknown, 2 Comments


Driving the shuttle bus for Otter Rafting Adventures and preparing the lunches is not near as exciting and glamorous as being a raft guide. But it has its rewards too. I get to spend time out in the foothills and see so many different interesting things.

While driving we see lots of deer, sometimes too close to the vehicles. Usually they are ahead of the vehicle crossing the road or grazing in the ditches. These last few trips, I’ve see a doe and fawns – always makes me feel good.

Something very unusual I saw the other day was a very large owl. Compare it to the size of the fence post it is resting on. It is a Great Gray Owl. It is the largest owl often measuring 24 to 33 inches ( 60 to 83 cms). When it took off in flight it was immense. It is considered rare and often hunts by day – glad I got to see it.

2 Comments

aims @ July 30, 2009 at 7:31 PM

I wish I had seen that Dave - it really is beautiful!

I wonder now how old it is.

myonlyphoto @ August 6, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Wow you saw an owl, lol, never never seen one on the wild, hope one day. Just in the zoo, lol. Nice photos, Anna :)